Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fridge Monster


There's a monster in my refrigerator. It leaves half filled bottles of ketchup, 4 mustard's, 15 salad dressings, 5 kinds of pickles. Not a very healthy diet. Today I tamed the fridge monster.

I have to admit that some of it is mine. I love Chinese and have at least 10 different Asian condiments. I tackled the door shelves only. Starting at the top shelf with the obvious dairy - butter, cheese, eggs. Working my way down.

I removed anything questionable or almost empty to the trash. I cleaned each shelf and thought about how to organize it. My goal is to be able to find items that I already have and not purchase doubles. My plan developed. I visioned the Chinese on one shelf, the salad dressings on another and so on. I speculated on the best height for the shelves to accommodate my plan. I adjusted the shelves accordingly. I cleaned each item as they were placed in there designated areas.

If you find you have a larger than normal category you might want to designate a shelf inside the fridge, rather than the door. Anything that would not fit a category was placed on the anything goes shelf. Tomorrow the guts of the fridge then off to the grocery for items that I actually need.

No comments: